|Agroprom Research Institute|
Abandoned research institution
A large, abandoned compound, the Agroprom is an empty shell, most of its equipment either looted or destroyed. However, its reinforced walls and general good shape of its structures make it a prime candidate for a forward military outpost in the Zone.
The Institute is also known for its vast network of underground tunnels and facilities, filled with anomalies and lost archives. The combination of military presence, unresolved mysteries and anomalies make it somewhat of a legend among stalkers.
This large, decaying institute has a long storied history. Built in the 1960s, the Institute was originally designated as Institute of Crop Selection and Genetics, with a field for experimental crops in the middle of the valley. Unofficially, it was used to research consciousness control, with moderate success: researchers were able to install simple commands in the minds of animals. After the 1986 incident, the Institute was shut down and the fields burned. Sometime later it was reactivated and a small military base was built around it, encircled with a concrete fence. The Institute's new mission was not disclosed to the public, but it had virtually limitless funding.
At the end of the 1980s, a factory was built where the experimental fields once stood, officially to build machines for agriculture on radiation-affected soil. Nobody ever saw a single machine built there.
After the fall of the Soviet Union the Institute continued its cover operation, researching agriculture on irradiated soil, under the auspices of the Ukrainian Ministry of Agriculture. However, it eventually became a front for The Group: under Director Petr Stirizh it has completely ceased its official operations as early as 2005, using state funding to acquire equipment for the clandestine research group, while falsifying official reports.
After the Zone was "born", the Institute was abandoned, although none of its equipment or archives were removed or destroyed, especially in the underground sections. Some years afterwards Duty comandeered the building and by 2011 a fully fledged faction headquarters were estabilished. The stalkers thoroughly analyzed the information they recovered from the Institute's archives in order to better understand the Zone and destroy it. Problems started when they tried to seal off sections of the Institute's underground facilities. A simple demolitions job caused a cave in, which opened up new sections of the tunnels, but also woke the mutants inhabiting the subterranean sections.
Fighting masses of monsters daily, Duty found itself forced into a defensive. However, thanks to Scar, they managed to flood the underground sections, killing off mutants and lightening the life of stalkers in Agroprom.
Sometime after this event, Duty salvaged what it could of the Institute, including a seemingly derelict Mil Mi-24 Hind and BTR-70s. Shortly after, military forces invaded the compound and seized it for use as a forward operations post. Under their control, in May 2012, Security Bureau of Ukraine operatives under the command of Captain D. F. Maksimenko conducted an investigation into the activities of the Institute before it was abandoned. This was carried out as part of Project Truth, headed by Colonel V. M. Kruchelnikov.
Reports and files pertaining to this investigation were recovered by Strelok in a daring raid into the Institute.
The Institute is dominated by the main building, whose three floors contained the main offices and research labs. In front of it two storage hangars are located, along with two barracks. A bricked utility building is located northwest of the main structure, housing what seems to be a medical bay with storage tanks. A parking area with garages is located behind the main building, right next to four large storage tanks for unknown liquids.
Gallery Duty Base Stalker Clear SkyEdit
- In the earliest builds, the research institute was called the "Medpribor" Research Institute.
- ↑ S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky, Anarchy Cell design document
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Agroprom Stalker (SHOC): "There are loads of legends about the Institute. Before the accident in 1986 the only thing here was the Institute of Crop Selection and Genetics. The area where the factory is now was used for experimental crop fields. After the accident, they closed the Institute and burned the fields. Then they remembered about it, they whitewashes the building, put up a fence around it and built some barracks. I don't know what they did at the Institute but they didn't have any shortage of funding, that's for sure."
- ↑ General Krylov: "The Agroprom Research Institute is in a good strategic location, not to mention its underground tunnels... Anyhow, some time ago we deployed a research program there to study the Zone. First we researched the anatomy and physiology of mutants. In other words, we looked for easier ways to kill them. It was a long, slow search until we accidentally stumbled on some materials in Agroprom's underground facility... Some very interesting materials, I must say. Secret experiments for controlling consciousness carried out in Soviet times, can you believe that? Those guys made a lot of headway in their research - they even managed to instill simple commands into the minds of animals. That's what led us to suspect that someone, or something, can control mutants. Unfortunately, all of our data confirms this theory. As soon as we burn down a mutant den, they retaliate with a bloodsucker attack or a pack of pseudodogs. The faster we destroy them, the faster they come at us. I bet this is no simple coincidence... I don't believe in repeated coincidences. There's something behind all this - I'm certain of it."
- ↑ Agroprom Stalker (SHOC): "The factory was built at the end of the 80s. They said it was going to be used to build and test machines that could treat soil affected by radiation. As far as I know, nobody ever saw a single machine come out of that plant. It's totally empty now, which makes it a favorite spot for stalkers. I hear the place is pretty safe as long as you avoid the dark corners."
- ↑ S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl, investigation report
- ↑ S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl Build 1475, gamedata\textures\prop\prop_ukazatel.dds