|“|| In the basement by the hangar you'll find the 100 Rads bar. The place is run by the local trader who doubles up as a barman. If you want to trade, talk, get a mission or find out the latest news, that's the place to go.|
The 100 Rads, also referred to as Bar, is a location featured in S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl.
OverviewEditRostok, in what's likely an old fallout shelter. It is run by the Barkeep and provides travelers with a place to rest, eat, drink and talk. The more adventurous can find jobs and quests, usually given by the Barkeep. The bar is the main meeting point for stalkers in the zone. Drawing a weapon in the bar is not allowed.
The entrance is guarder by Zhorik the bouncer. In the bar there's also a blue box, where the player can store things, a locked storage space with sacks and barrels, and off-limits back offices guarded by Garik, the other bouncer of the bar. Usually, foodstuff and drinks are on the tables and at the player's disposal.
The bar is full of experienced Stalkers, most of which offer jobs of varying difficulty.
- Baldy, an experienced Loner who gives the Kill the traitor mission.
- Brome, a former Dutyer who gives the Find the weapon of the Dutyer mission.
- Hunter, asks the player to Find the family rifle and Destroy the lair of the bloodsucker.
- Snitch, a shady dealer who offers information that might well be of use to the stalker. The only mission he gives is to Kill master stalker.
Behind the barEdit
In the 100 Rads bar there is a room that is blocked off by Garik, a bouncer which Barkeep goes to on a few occasions. Although the bouncer persistently states that "You can't go there", if one pushes a crate to bypass him or modifies their game and either allows the player to draw their weapons in the bar or remove Garik's spawn point, the player can actually explore the room behind him although there is really nothing of interest there (save for an energy drink).
Initially, the guarded room behind the bar was meant to be used for the discussions with Barkeep about documents. Ultimately this idea was scrapped and those discussions take place in the bar, however the game still contains the rooms and Garik's phrase "Talk to Barkeep" from that version.
Music and ambienceEdit
The air in the Bar is always filled with music, lively remarks, calls and sounds by stalkers, and sounds from Barkeep's kitchen. Due to their repetitive and exclamatory nature, many quotes of the NPCs that appear in the bar have become memes in the game's community.
The music that plays in the bar is the instrumental song "Gurza Dreaming" by the band Addaraya ("gurza" is a kind of desert venomous snake). The song is not included in the game's soundtrack as released for download by GSC Game World, however it has found its way to the internet nevertheless.
The words "Black raven, black raven, circling above the grave", that are recited by an NPC, are a slightly altered version of the lyrics to an old and sad Russian song about a young Cossack, who lays wounded in the battlefield awaiting his end.
- If enemies are pursuing the Marked One, he can run into the bar and he will be safe. However, they will wait for him outside.
- A head of a Boar and an Energy drink can be seen within the kitchen. The Energy drink is obtainable if the player manages to sneak behind the bar.
- There is some writing on the wall outside stating "If you shoot the barman, the world will end!".
- The location is mentioned a few times in S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat. Zulu informs the player it is where he met Vano.
- The Bar's TV, behind the Barkeep, displays footage from an early S.T.A.L.K.E.R. build. The same footage always plays in the television sets scattered throughout the game and the series.
- A "rad" is a unit of absorbed radiation dose. 100 rads is the approximate dose at which humans start having obvious radiation sickness symptoms. In the original, Ukrainian version of the game the name of the bar is "100 Roentgen". The roentgen is also a radiation-related unit, however it measures radiation exposure, not absorbed radiation.
- Zhorik and Garik, the two bouncers, are twin brothers.