Ensure the mutants in the antenna complex sleep forever.
All the Bloodsuckers
Needed for Detective achievement
|“|| Who the hell knows how many Bloodsuckers are in those tunnels. Maybe we could gas them instead.|
Bloodsucker Lair is a mission featured in S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat.
This mission is given by Grouse part of the way through the Missing Stalkers mission, when he meets the player outside the sewage pipe in the Swamp after they both exit the Krug Antenna Complex. Grouse is concerned about the safety of stalkers now that he and the player have discovered a lair of Bloodsuckers. He tells the player to inform Beard and the rest of the stalkers at Skadovsk about the discovery.
Once back at Skadovsk and informed of the threat, Beard suggests that the lair be filled with poisonous gas. He points the player to Owl for more information, saying he's not exactly on speaking terms with the man at the moment. Owl will provide the required information for 2000 RU. It would be helpful to leave a lot of carry weight free - there is some heavy lifting and nice loot to be had in this mission. At least ten kilograms of space should do it, or a Hercules drug.
Owl's sources say that a military convoy carrying a deadly nerve agent stalled in the middle of the bridge out of the Ranger Station. It is quicker and easier to approach the bridge from the Ranger Station to the north and head south than enter from the south by the Waste Processing Station and head north. Vortex anomalies are all over the bridge, so the player must exercise caution or be dragged into the explosion, or even worse, thrown off the bridge.
The first vehicle (last in the doomed convoy) encountered heading south from the Ranger Station has a trunk behind the rear seat. Inside is a document and a key. After taking both, the mission will update: another key is required. The document details the location of both keys and all three documents. Climbing the nearby ladder and hopping up to the giant brown pipe will help the player avoid the majority of the anomalies. There is a small amount of radiation, but sprinting through it quickly is effective.
The second vehicle (second last in the convoy) is by a pile of old pipes dumped on the bridge. There are some medical supplies in the rear. The two BTR-70 APCs have open hatches on the bottom, and house one piece each of either a weapon or ammunition. The truck is the main objective. In the front passenger seat there is another copy of the document with details on the convoy. In the back of the truck is an AKM-74/2U leaning on a giant box. This is the box that requires the keys.
Further south of the truck is another vehicle (second vehicle in the convoy) leaning precariously over a shattered portion of the bridge. The trunk in the back holds a giant stockpile of common ammunition. The shattered part of the bridge here actually collapsed, and looking down the chasm, there is a vehicle resting upside-down near the creek (the first vehicle in the convoy). Slowly dropping onto a nearby broken beam and and following it down is the quickest way to the vehicle. Once down, the box inside the car is easy to see, sitting on the inside of the roof of the overturned vehicle. The box holds the second key and another copy of the document. To get back up to the bridge, players can sprint up the steep hillside and up around to the bridge. If the mission Mercenary Camp has not been completed yet or the Mercenaries are still holed up in the Waste Processing Plant, it would be wise to avoid entering the premises of the plant by accident. Getting back to the truck from the south going north is a matter of closely skirting the edges of the chasm the player so recently climbed down, so as to not get caught in numerous vortex anomalies.
Inserting both keys into the box will unlock it and give access to the poison gas canister. Weighing in at 10 kg, the canister is one of the heaviest items in the game. Plus the giant pile of ammunition from the second vehicle in the convoy, there is little shame in using a Hercules drug here to carry all of it.
The time has come to destroy the lair. The player must lug the canister over to a small lot behind the Krug Antenna Complex and hook it up to a pipe inside a small open panel. The pipe can be hard to point at: it points down inside the small panel. After connecting the canister, the much easier to spot red valve must be spun.
Immediately after spinning the valve, a loud roar shakes the earth and a 45-second timer begins. It is advisable to take cover behind the nearby hill and watch the enemy detection bar while the wait takes place. Bloodsuckers will try to escape the building and head towards the small lot the player is in. The actual number of Bloodsuckers deployed to the player's position depends on the difficulty: it can be from one to three. A fight may ensue, but standard Bloodsucker tactics apply.
After the timer is up, the player should head back to Beard and inform him of the lair's destruction for the mission complete. The 4 documents you found with the keys can be sold to Owl for the 2400.
- Veles detector
- 1 Stash location
- 5000 RU
- The entire mission can be completed with much difficulty if one kills all the Bloodsuckers by hand. This takes the least time and effort, however, a RP-74 and at least Berill-5M armoured suit is a must-have to do so since in lair there are up to 10 Bloodsuckers and killing it with only one shotgun shot is plain impossible, so player without a weapon will make himself very vulnerable to be attacked.
- The area where this quest ends is right by a Stingray 5 crash site. Useful for players who still need to examine the wreckage.
- If the mission Mercenary Camp has not been completed yet, it is better to return later than do the two missions concurrently. The mercenaries tend to have good equipment to loot, and the player is likely extremely low on carry space after picking up the massive gas canister.
- The fight at the end of the mission with the Bloodsuckers is almost inevitable if the player hangs around within even 60m of the mission marker. The Bloodsuckers seem to track the player down.
- Depending on graphics settings, the first car in the convoy at the bottom of the collapsed bridge can appear completely black and difficult to spot in the shadow of the bridge. At night this problem is worsened by poor lighting.
- Completing this mission unlocks the good ending for the Skadovsk, where it prospers as both a treasure trove and a safe haven.
- If one does not complete this mission: the player will instead get the bad ending where hunters failed to breach the bloodsucker lair and the inhabitants of the Skadovsk are killed.
- After completing this mission, the Bloodsuckers' complex remains flooded with poisonous gas for the rest of the game. Any returning player will take continuous damage from the moment they step down onto the broken elevator through to the exit in the broken floor.