|“|| Seems like all of these fuckheads are down. Get down there, grab the gun and let's pull out while we can.|
- Cpt. Tarasov
You'll be given this quest from Col. Kovalsky as soon as you talk to him for the first time. It can be divided into two parts: First finding the weapon, and then repairing it.
- Finding the weapon is dead simple. Talk to Cpt. Tarasov who will lead a small squad of five people(including the player) to the west wing of Pripyat hospital. There you will need for a small squad of three Monolith soldiers to appear. Take them down. After you search all the bodies, the Monolith ambush will start.
- A Preacher will spawn at the roof of a nearby building and snipe off Snr. Sgt. Morozov, thus starting his sermon during which he will target all the remaining soldiers and finally the player. While death of Morozov cannot be avoided as the Preacher is scripted to be invulnerable before he kills him, after that he goes down just like any other Expert Monolith.
- Additionally, about a dozen Monolith soldiers will spawn in the eastern wing, several of them wielding SVU sniper rifles. Those should be your priority targets.
- Keeping the remaining three soldiers alive is very hard, but ironically not because of the Monolith, but because of their own grenades. NPC-thrown grenades fly in a very high arc, so every time one of the soldiers tries to throw one through the window, it ends up hitting the roof and falling right under his feet. This can be avoided with a lot of quicksaving/quickloading(to "reset" the AI, though it seems to be very stubborn about throwing the grenades) and a little luck.
- Any of the 3 soldiers who survive the ambush will take part in the Evacuation finale of the game. It is thus in the player's best interest to save them, as if all 3 of them are alive it nearly doubles the size of the evacuation squad, make the difficult final mission significantly easier.
As soon as the battle is over, take the Gauss Rifle and show it to Kovalsky. He'll give you a new task of finding someone who knows how to repair it.
- Said person is Cardan, who will go into a mild shock when you show him the weapon. You'll have to wait a bit for him to snap out of it(about as long as it takes him to recover from vodka when you give him three bottles). Then he will tell you more about the Gauss Rifle and give you a card to access the Product 62 Testing Facility.
- The Testing Facility is pretty straightforward. Grab the documents and go back to Cardan; he'll need several hours to get it working again(If you unload the broken Gauss Rifle before giving it to Cardan, it will be fully loaded again when you get it back, essentially getting you a set of Gauss Batteries for free). Don't forget to give Cardan the keycard back.
- Return to Kovalsky with the working Gauss Rifle. He'll let you keep it.
- You can show the Product 62 documentation to the Professor Hermann, who will make copies and express his gratitude in cash.