|Feeding and cartridge|
4.4 kg (empty)
|Shadow of Chernobyl||
|Call of Pripyat||
The Snayperskaya Vintovka Ukorochennaya, (Sniper Rifle Shortened), named SVUmk-2 in-games, is a shortened variant of the SVDm-2 with a bull-pup design. It appears in S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl, S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky and S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat.
It was developed in the 1970s by the TsKIB SOO (Central Design Bureau of Sporting and Hunting Weapons) in Tula, Russia, as a compact sniper rifle for paratroopers. Production did not start until 1994. Though originally the SVU was meant to replace the Dragunov, its design and performance was far different from the SVD and so it became an alternate weapon rather than a successor.
The weapon was first used by the Russian Ministry of Internal Affairs in groups such as OMON. In their service it is designated the OTs-03.
The SVU is a 7.62x54mm compact sniper rifle, it is primarily for either a player who needs a compact yet powerful sniper weapon or for urban firefights, where its short size will be more of an asset than a hindrance, or a player who would prefer to travel with a light yet powerful sniper weapon. Compared to its larger cousin the SVD, the SVU has shorter effective range, slightly lower damage, and accuracy, but is lighter than it, has less recoil, slightly faster RoF, and still packs a sizable punch due to its large caliber.
The actual SVU has 10 or 20-round magazines. The in-game SVU Mk-2 only has 10-round magazines. However in Call of Pripyat, a 15-round magazine may be installed as a Tier 1 upgrade.
- Scripts of the weapon are called wpn_svu (it is correct for all S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games). SVU-A stands for Snayperskaya Vintovka Ukorochennaya — Avtomat, or "Sniper Rifle, Shortened — Automatic". It is a selective-fire version of the SVU, capable of semi-automatic or fully-automatic fire. The description could be found in game files. But the SVU-A variant was never included in any game (just like some unique weapons, transport, and some creatures).
Shadow of Chernobyl Edit
Notable deployments Edit
Acquiring the weapon Edit
It is sold by Skinflint when the player attains a friendly reputation with Freedom; it will cost 75,000 rubles. The weapon may also be sold by Barkeep later in the game, too; but the chance is very low. There is also one in each sniper tower inside the Freedom Base. The rifle is easily obtained through the Kill the tower sniper job.
Although, if the player wants it without compromising their reputation with Freedom or paying a hefty sum for it, their best chance would be to loot it from Max. To do this, accept the Destroy the Duty company mission from Lukash and simply do not help Max's squad in dealing with Skull's company. Because everyone in the Duty company is a heavily armed Exoskeleton-wearing stalker and Max's Freedomers use lighter armor, the Dutyers will be able to massacre Max's squad with ease while taking little to no casualties.
Clear Sky Edit
The player can now sprint while holding this weapon, due to its compact nature; but it is less effective at long range compared to the SVD, due to the weapon's short barrel. However, it still has more range than any assault rifle. The SVU can be upgraded for superior accuracy, reduced weight, and reduced recoil, making it perfect for those demanding a highly accurate and lightweight high-powered sniper rifle.
Acquiring the SVU Edit
The SVUmk-2 rifle may be found on dead body lying in Army Warehouses in Bloodsucker Village, but this is a random drop.
Also, the SVU can be obtained from Chekhov. In the Freedom base player has to holster his weapon, but it can be used freely in the old factory behind actual base. After getting into this area, and positioning yourself on the ground next to the truck, it is possible to see the two back windows of Chekhov’s office and part of his head. From this position Chekhov can be killed and then his SVU can be looted from his corpse.
Notable deployments Edit
The weapon can be upgraded only by Yar; he will require all 3 upgrade USB schematics. The upgrades focus on lowering its weight, reducing recoil, and increasing accuracy.
Call of Pripyat Edit
Nimble sells an SVU2-A, the sniper rifle of Max, which is lighter, has less recoil, and nearly double the firing rate of a stock model. Rogue carries an SVU as well. Overall the SVU is extremely rare, as both Freedom and Monolith members prefer the full-size SVD.
The rifle can be upgraded to have similar stats to a full-size SVD, but it cannot be modified to have the nearly-essential target identification upgrade. On the other hand, it can be upgraded to make use of an integral silencer which muffles any sound, without the drop-off of 9x39mm rifles. However, unlike 9x39mm rifles, the will SVU now suffer from a 20% loss of accuracy, range (though will still retain range longer than any 9x39mm rifle) and damage because of the silencer. However, if the player compensates the drop in performance, they could very well turn a fully-upgraded silenced SVU into the perfect stealth sniper weapon. Also, SVU can be upgraded to have adjustable scope, which along with lighter weight and much better handling makes SVU better weapon than his bigger "brother".
- Obtained from Hawaiian after attaining the A Friend of Freedom achievement.
- Random Freedom stalkers may carry the weapon during freeplay.
- During the Monolith ambush in the Pripyat Underground, random Monolith snipers may carry this weapon.
- May be obtained from Senior Sergeant Morozov's body after he gets killed by the Preacher with the unidentified weapon during the Monolith ambush in the Pripyat Hospital.
SVUmk2 Stash LocationsEdit
- Yanov — atop the northwestern plateau behind Kopachi village near the Ash Heap anomaly beneath a tree (includes Black Kite, 20 sniper rounds, 50 .45 ACP rounds and medical supplies).
- Yanov - under the bridge where the set of basic tools can be found, where it is stashed in a corner near the top-right most part of the bridge's incline (includes 30 sniper rounds). However, acquiring ammunition requires grenades to get all 30 rounds, but weapon can be picked up without any problems.
- Pripyat — behind what looks to be an air-conditioning unit, on the outside of the Kindergarten near the monolith jamming device that is inside. The air conditioning unit is behind some stairs that lead to the room containing the monolith jamming device.
This is the only sniper rifle that can be upgraded to have adjustable scope and higher magazine capacity. Though without any upgrades SVUmk-2 may lose in some situations even with Vintar BC, after only Tier 1 upgrades weapon will have enough accuracy to fulfill sniper role and win with SVDm-2 thanks to smaller weight and much better handling. After handing to any of technician Calibration Kit player can unlock full potential of SVU by adding adjustable scope, which will help player at mid-range combat.
- The barrel attachment at the end of the SVU is not a silencer but a muzzle-brake. A muzzle brake reduces the felt recoil by dissipating propellant gases, resulting in better handling and also reduces the damage done to the rifle barrel when fired. It also diffuses the muzzle flash, making it harder to locate the shooter. The muzzle brake model used on the SVU reduces recoil by 40%.
- Curiously, in Call of Pripyat, the muzzle brake is not present in first-person and is only visible once the player mounts a silencer on it.
Call of PripyatEdit